TSA members contribute to raising the standards and improving the safety of the Inland waterways by helping raise the standard of skills and the competency of individuals working commercially in the Port of London and other inland waterways.
Members have the opportunity to be directly involved in the design and delivery of bespoke training for the needs of the Thames and in influencing the strategic direction of the organisation
Benefits for your business
- Raising standards and improving safety and skills on the Thames and other inland waterways
- A focus for a structured, collective and cohesive approach to marine training and development
- Through economies of scale, quality assured training to meet employers' needs at lowest possible cost
- Development, oversight and promotion of bespoke apprenticeships to upskill the sector
- Promotion of the sector's interests with regulatory bodies (including PLA, TfL, LFB, Met Police, Boroughs, Government)
- Making inland waterways an attractive place to work through encouragement of diversity and inclusion
- Development of Thames Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Benefits to River Thames' employers
- Support for the Boatmaster and Marine Engineering apprenticeships developed with the Thames Skills Academy
- One-Stop-Shop for industry specific tailored training and Thames CPD
- Newsletters and AGM
- Annual graduation ceremony for apprenticeships
- Access to free online training
- Information on factors affecting the sector e.g. funding and Government schemes
Personalised services for individual employers
- Bi-annual stakeholder group meetings and opportunity for Board membership
- Influence strategic direction of the TSA and direct involvement in design and delivery of training
- Training Needs Analysis and tailored advice on training
- Dedicated support to employers and their apprentices and employees
- Thames CPD management for individual companies
- Free regulatory visits to key organisations along the Thames
- Promotion of job vacancies on dedicated careers webpage and via social media
- Participation in annual careers events, including #CareersOnTheThames (as part of the Totally Thames Festival)
- Training course allowance
Becoming a member is simple. There are two types of membership available:
Employer Membership - for marine employers currently operating passenger, freight and other service vessels on the tidal Thames between Teddington, the River Medway and the wider Thames Estuary.
Affiliate Membership - for organisations that are not marine employers/vessel operators yet have a direct and long-term interest in supporting the maintenance and improvement of safety and service quality on the tidal Thames. Those keen to raise the standard of skills and the competency of individuals working commercially in the Port of London.
For more detail, including benefits from the TSA being a member of GTA England, click benefits of TSA membership.
The TSA promise to our members
- as a not-for-profit company, limited by guarantee, any surplus made by the TSA will be re-invested in the organisation in the continuous improvement of its service, for the benefit of its Members;
- the TSA will act as a focus for a more structured, collective and cohesive approach to marine training and development on the tidal Thames; and
- through economies of scale and excellent training providers, and working closely with employers, the TSA will be able to deliver high quality, flexible training at the lowest possible cost.
Find out more
If you would like to apply to become a member of the TSA, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 01322 917 550 or download our application form.